I've slowly been converting all our incandescent light bulbs to compact fluorescent light bulbs in an effort to conserve energy and therefore lower our electricity bills. I had been turned off by these bulbs due to:

  • Price
  • Potential mercury hazard (will have to dispose properly when the time comes)
While at walmart a few weeks ago I noticed the bulbs (walmart brand) have come down considerably in price (although they're still considerably more expensive than incandescent). So I bought a box and converted a few fixtures and lamps in our house and have to say I'm pretty happy with the light they put out. Even at much lower wattage, the bulbs seem to produce much more light (although the light seems to affect how colors are perceived). I have since, bought more bulbs and basically converted the entire house now. Hopefully I will start to see a slight decrease in our electricity bill. I will post my findings in the next few weeks.

0 comments